The Group joined the SUN (Scaling Up Nutrition) network in the spring of 2014. Founded in 2010, SUN brings together the United Nations, NGOs, governments, researchers, and companies to fight against under-nutrition in emerging countries.
To integrate into the network, the Group defined four commitments:
- Ensuring calcium content and vitamin D for more than 13 million people in the SUN countries where Bel operates, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa and Vietnam, by fortifying certain varieties of The Laughing Cow® cheese;
- Establish a network of 5,000 street vendors by 2015, to facilitate access to Bel products, sources of proteins and calcium, among people with very low purchasing power;
- Supporting the development and welfare of children through:
- The Bel Foundation, which will have contributed €2.5 million to NGOs working of behalf of child nutrition and welfare from 2008 to 2018;
- Educational programs built around nutrition, which will reach 130,000 children by end 2015;
- Encouraging healthy eating habits through 2,000 employees and outside Bel partners working in SUN countries, by setting up a program in the workplace by 2016.